Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Deaf Anthem

This poem can very well be the deaf and HOH anthem!

Listen to Me

I may not hear you,
But I can listen,
Listen to your hands,
Your face and your eyes.
All I ask of you
Is that you do the same.
Listen to the words
That I want to tell.
Look past hearing aids
And see the real me.
Look at what I can be
Not what I cannot.
Heather Whitestone showed you
That I can be beautiful.
Marlee Matlin showed you
That I can be in movies.
Thomas Edison showed you
That I can make history.
Ludwig van Beethoven showed you
That I can make music.
Sir John Warcup Cornforth showed you
That I can win the Nobel Prize.
Konstantin Tsiolkovsky showed you
That I can send rockets to the moon.
Helen Keller showed you
That I can overcome anything.
Now, let me show you
That I can be a friend.
I have things to tell you.
Listen to me.

— By Tawnysha Lynch

From the e-magazine World Around You (SPRING/SUMMER 2002 VOL XXIII ISSUE 3)
http://clerccenter.gallaudet.edu/WorldAroundYou/Spr-Sum-2002/spr-sum-2002-WAY.pdf

Copyright belongs to Gallaudet University Laurent Clerc National Deaf Education Center/author. I do not claim ownership.

No comments: